People who consume alcohol daily are at risk of high blood pressure problems because daily alcohol consumption causes the elevation of blood pressure. Alcohol can increase the risk of hypertension by 16% if you consume it in excessive amount. Taking three drinks of alcohol in a day can cause temporary rise in blood pressure but repeated binge drinking will lead to constant elevation of Blood pressure. Heavy drinker must cut back alcohol consumption to moderate level in order to maintain normal systolic as well as diastolic blood pressure. So if you think that does the alcohol raise blood pressure or not, then of course yes.
How does the Alcohol Raise Blood Pressure?
If you intake 10g of alcohol it will cause rise in blood pressure by 1mmHg. This effect will only be reversible in next 2 to 4 weeks if you decrease the alcohol intake.
Method for Reduction of Alcohol Consumption
Regular and heavy alcohol drinkers can alleviate high blood pressure by decreasing intake of alcohol slowly. It should not be reduced suddenly because it will not help in lowering high blood pressure. If any person is taking some amount of alcohol, in the next week he should decrease it by half and in next week again half. In this way he/she should reduce the alcohol intake in approximately 3 to 4 weeks. If you stop drinking at once it will not help instead blood pressure will remain higher.
Safe levels of drinking are giving below for male and females
- Men with age <65 can only take two drinks in a day
- Men with age 65 or above 65 can consume 1 drink a day
- Women are allowed to consume only single drink in a day.
Everyone who drinks should know that it includes
- 5 ounces of wine that is 148 milliliters
- 12 ounces of beer which is 355 milliliters
- 5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirit which is 44 milliliters
Hence, here comes the answer to does alcohol raise blood pressure. If you are habitual of drinking, keep it up to moderate and safe levels. So you will not get hypertension problems and your blood pressure will stay normal. Hypertension can lead to many other diseases as well and if it is uncontrolled it can be life threatening as well.
You can also check:
- Prehypertension Blood Pressure
- Natural High Blood Pressure Remedies
- 05 Risks of High Blood Pressure
- 08 Common Causes of High Blood Pressure
- 10 Ways to Control High Blood Pressure without Medication